Hello, August! I’m so happy to have the last full month of summer here. Even though New England is the best place to be in summer, it is still my least favorite season. The humidity in the city is absolutely unbearable and even staying seaside isn’t all that fun! After the first two weeks or so of nice weather I start to wear the same 7 pieces, I can’t stop sweating and the heat makes me feel more tired rather than energizing. Not to mention my skin has been out. of. control. In fact, while I’m writing this I have a peel-off charcoal face mask I’m waiting to dry at any attempt to keep my pores happy. Will update on that at the end of this post.
I am taking this time to write out some of my August monthly goals, hoping that by publishing them here I will stick to them and we’ll do a check-in at the end of the month.
- Begin my studies before of the formal start of fall term.
- I have four courses this semester, most of which will be done from a distance as I get ready to join Lukas in Hamburg this fall. I know from a previous (awful) spring semester that if I’m going to succeed in distance courses I need to be on top of it at all times. And with the amount of reading I’m expected to do, it’s best if I keep myself a couple weeks ahead of schedule!
- Keep my calendar in-line!
- I’ve started to rely heavily on CoSchedule to keep me on top of everything from my upcoming travel dates to blog titles and exam dates. It will be very easy to screw it up if I don’t check it first thing every morning. And after a very slow July on the blog, I’m very excited to get back in the swing of things here.
- Less bread. Less sugar. More water. More greens.
- This is a bit of an ongoing goal but I generally feel tons better when I don’t eat bread or sugar. Seems pretty obvious, right? But I’m also super guilty of letting a little craving take complete control once it hits me. Wouldn’t mind shedding an extra few (okay, 10?) lbs as well. An easy step is to cut the bad sugar & carbs out. Resist the Italian ice!
- Lukas is visiting! Yay!
- I’m extremely excited to see him after so many months apart. You would think being in a long distance relationship becomes easier over time but in reality, I just get more annoyed and antsy with the fact that we’re apart. I don’t know his exact dates yet and I believe he wants to surprise me (which means I need to keep my space tidy at all times now! let’s add that to goals).
- Mystic series on the blog
- If you’ve been keeping up on Instagram, you know I was spending some time in Mystic, Connecticut! I was there for a family reunion. But during the short trip, I got to meet some the kindest people who make the town as charming as it is! I’m very excited to share this series on the blog throughout the month. This includes some really great interviews with local makers & bakers and an exciting adventure with Juno, the beluga whale.
- Semester begins
- Now, most don’t look at the start of the fall semester as something to be “fun” but I’m ready. I miss the structure of attending university and I’m excited to have it back again. Life is going to get very very busy in the next month or so and I want to use August to help me get back into the swing of things. Or maybe I’m just eternally uncool for wanting classes to return, in that case, I’m okay with that too. And before I leave I love the main campus in early fall.
These are the things I’m most looking forward to this month! I’m also looking forward to some fun events and project development for September travel but it’s really nice to have a month focusing on family and productivity! What are your goals for the month?
PS. Charcoal mask left face feeling a bit softer & definitely helped redness. I did not wait long enough for it to completely dry though and am trying to peel off little shreds of liquid charcoal off my face.