My Midtown Manhattan Brunches

5 Places for Brunch in New York City's Midtown Manhattan Neighborhood | Bexpeditions.com 5 Places for Brunch in New York City's Midtown Manhattan Neighborhood | Bexpeditions.com

Just a quick update & another round of NYC photographs. Taking a look back on all my New York photos now and I realized my food photographs shared a common theme: breakfast/brunch. It would explain the additional two pounds I gained since I returned, aha. I guess it’s something about New York diner/restaurant culture that now makes it possible to have waffles whenever you want and brunch is served 7 days a week. It’s no longer limited to Sundays!

As a result, this post is dedicated to my Midtown Manhattan brunch hour (which is any hour you want it to be, really). And to all of the future brunches that I have yet to indulge in. These places are necessarily the best but I wanted to document the ones that are most common for me to end up in. If you find yourself staying in Midtown, try one of these places! And if you already have please let me know your experience in the comments.

PS. I apologize for the number of waffles, pancakes, and eggs benedict you’re about to see. I guess you can tell what my favorite menu items are. This is a pretty good/embarrassing example of how unadventurous I am when it comes to my brunch.

Rue 57

Sharing my favorites for a Midtown Manhattan Brunch | Bexpeditions

Rue 57 is definitely one of my go-to’s when I’m staying in the city! We came here once many years ago due to convenience from our hotel. Today, we never skip a meal here when we find ourselves in the city. It’s extremely consistent, always busy but never too busy and it’s delicious at all times of the day. I’ve enjoyed brunch here countless times and love it for a nice solo meal out or with a small group.

Portions are fairly large and can be split among friends as well. Pictured here is a waffle with berries. A common item I’ll order with a friend is their “Hangover Breakfast” which covers all your bases including eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, french ham, toast, and home fries. We’ll split the breakfast and order a couple mimosas. It’s more than enough food! If you’re solo, mingling and people watching at the bar is recommended.

Funny story fulfilling a  New Yorker cliché: One-time mother and I had dinner here when we were talking about her work (she’s in the film/tv industry). Our waiter overheard us talking about some of the movies they’re filming and admitted that he was actually a screenwriter! We looked up at him quietly at first and couldn’t tell if he was being serious with us…he was. He tried multiple times throughout our meal to get her to look at one of his screenplays. It completely fulfilled the cliche that all waiters in New York are just “waiting” for their big break – even if it includes trying to get your customer to read your work!

60 W 57th St, New York, NY 10019

Applejack Diner

Waffles & Sausage Diner Brunch | My Manhattan Brunches | Bexpeditions

Rebecca Nelson for Bexpeditions | My Manhattan Brunches | Bexpeditions

Diner Coffee in NYC | My Manhattan Brunches | Bexpeditions

The Applejack Diner has become a bit of a joke between me and my friends. It’s our go-to ultra casual, extremely average place when we don’t care what time of day it is. Truly, Applejack Diner is not anything special but it has put a little place in my heart! It’s there to give me my no-frills craving for ice cream at 2 am or our “I need to be served quickly before my meeting” kind of place. I must say the coffee also really isn’t good at all but we get it every time anyway. I’ve realized I’m not doing a good job of selling this place yet this post would feel incomplete without it! Ending this on a good note: The waffles are really good both at 9 AM and 1 AM – tried-and-true.

1725 Broadway Avenue, New York, NY 10019

Cafe Fiorello

Manhattan Cafe Interior | My Manhattan Brunches | Bexpeditions

Pancake Brunch in New York City | My Manhattan Brunches | Bexpeditions

Technically a step outside of midtown and on the Upper West Side. The restaurants by Lincoln Center I’m pretty familiar with at this point. My typical go-to around there has been The Smith (also on this list) but on my most recent trip we wanted to change it up a bit and went next door to Cafe Fiorello. Summer in New York City we try to sit outdoors as much as possible (as long as the humidity is willing to behave, of course). I had the pancakes here which are absolutely ginormous and should be washed down with a mimosa. It’s a cute little spot for a relaxing breakfast and a restaurant to take your time in.

1900 Broadway, New York, NY 10023

Serafina

Eggs Benedict | My Manhattan Brunches | Bexpeditions

My Brunches in Manhattan | Bexpeditions

Serafina is pretty much a name everyone knows in New York with restaurants all over the place. Usually staying in midtown, I’ve enjoyed brunch at Serafina before heading to the airport. Their brunch menu is filled mostly with egg dishes like my eggs benedict pictured above. Another one that sounds really good is the eggs in brioche dish! It’s very reasonably priced, especially with one of their combination orders like the “New York Breakfast” or “Serafina Breakfast” rather than ordering a la cart.

Multiple Locations.

The Smith

Favorite Brunch Restaurants in Manhattan | Bexpeditions

5 Brunch Spots In Midtown Manahttan | Bexpeditions

Again, just a few steps outside of Midtown and on the Upper West Side is The Smith at Lincoln Center. It’s really the neighboring door to Cafe Fiorello mentioned above but the two have very different vibes. The Smith definitely is more hip/modern and tends to be more crowded generally. So if you don’t mind that it’s definitely worth trying! I’m not a fan of the crowded outdoor seating so this is one of the few places where I prefer to be seated inside. Tables are very close together and it can be harder to hear the person at your table if seated outdoors. I really enjoy The Smith if I’m meeting a friend from across town because we all know where it is and can find it without a struggle. It’s a great meeting point restaurant!

1900 Broadway (at 63rd Street)

Have a place I should check out? Let me know in the comments! I would LOVE to hear about suggestions outside of midtown in order to get me to explore other neighborhoods. Send them my way.

LITTLE BLACK BOOK FEATURES

My little black book features all of my favorite places to eat, see, experience and more! You can find my most recent articles on a place, upcoming events and what you may find in my suitcase.

Eat

Eat

The Smith

New York, New York

Rue 57

New York, New York

Want More? Look Inside my Entire Little Black Book: New York City

Comments

• Anisa

Written on July 29, 2017

There are so m great brunch places in Manhattan. Some of my favorites are Maya, Hundred Acres, The Dutch, Rosa Mexicano, Essex, Cookshop, Buvette, Jack’s Wife Freda…..I could go on!

Written on July 30, 2017

Thanks for the recommendations, Anisa! Will have to sort them all out in a list for next time I’m in town.

• Kate

Written on July 30, 2017

wow those places look so lovely! hope to visit NYC soon and to try those delicious brunches! 🙂

• Penny

Written on July 30, 2017

I love waffles. I love them when they are fresh and crispy on the top. Sigh! I’m drooling already. I wish I lived in Manhattan. This is such a great list and the pics are making me really hungry!

• robin rue

Written on August 2, 2017

I love Rue 57! I ate there the last time I was down in NYC. I can;t wait until next month when I get back down there.

• Terri

Written on August 2, 2017

I loved your story about the waiter. It’s kinda rude but at the same time, kind of inspiring. You know? How hard it must be to approach a stranger about reading a screenplay! I added more to my NYC list. We were there in June but plan to go back next June!

Written on August 3, 2017

haha we were just surprised but it’s a fun story we like to tell now! I never thought of it as how hard it must have been for him but I guess it’s part of that hustle, right? You never know! I’m glad I could give you some new things to add to your New York list! Let me know if your thoughts on any of it next year.

• Jessica

Written on August 2, 2017

How fun! We are thinking about making a trip that way in the future, and it is nice knowing the good places to visit and eat! I will have to save this for when we go

Written on August 3, 2017

That makes me happy to hear! Let me know how it goes if you end up at any of these places!

• Allison

Written on August 2, 2017

These all look so delicious! I am heading to NYC soon and am saving this to add to our list of ‘must dos’!

Written on August 3, 2017

Awesome, Allison! Let me know how it goes! Can’t wait to hear about it 😀

• Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh

Written on August 2, 2017

Breakfast and brunch are some of my favorites to eat! I love all the foods that are associated with the two. I even eat breakfast for dinner a lot of the times, because I love it so much!

• Cassie

Written on August 2, 2017

All morning I’ve been craving pancakes then I see these pictures! Oh man – you are making my tummy grumble!!! I love visiting Manhattan and I haven’t tried these places so definitely going on the list

• Jeanine

Written on August 2, 2017

This all looks amazing! I love breakfast/brunch. Can’t go wrong with this comfort food. I’d love to go here.

• Rachel

Written on August 2, 2017

That is a whole lot of waffles! I love traveling and eating new food. My sister in law plans all trips around restaurants.

• Karen Morse

Written on August 2, 2017

I LOVE brunch and it’s awesome to know where the best places are in NYC! I think it’s awesome that you shared this list. The food looks amazing in each of the restaurants!

• Cindy Ingalls

Written on August 2, 2017

Some of my favorite brunch spots. NYC is one of the best places to enjoy brunch. You can always find a great diner or trendy new location to indulge in something delicious, but you definitely have to do a lot of walking to work it off.

Written on August 3, 2017

haha, for sure Cindy! Lots of walking off required. Fortunately, that’s all pretty easy there ;D

• Ayana Pitterson

Written on August 3, 2017

Those look delicious!!! If you are in NYC again, try heading up to Harlem. There are some amazing brunch spots that will impress you.

• Nicole

Written on August 3, 2017

You picked some great places! I lived in NYC for 10 years. Seeing your pictures at Serafina made my heart a little sad. I’ve had many a brunch there. I hope you enjoyed your trip.

• Amber N

Written on August 3, 2017

Yum! I am such a big fan of breakfast foods. This is right up my alley. It looks wonderful!

• Latasha

Written on August 3, 2017

I absolutely love all your photo! I have to check those places out really soon with my family! 🙂

• AnnMarie John

Written on August 4, 2017

Spent most of my life in NYC and this makes me miss it more! Brunch is definitely the best there and it’s both a blessing and a curse to know where the spots are, if you know what I mean. Lol.

• Angela Ricardo Bethea

Written on August 4, 2017

While we live really close to NYC … and hubby is originally from there we have yet to explore the city. I definitely need to recommend this to him asap so we can enjoy a good ol’ brunch there too.

• Lisa

Written on August 6, 2017

All of this looks amazing! All your pictures were just lovely. I really wanted to eat the waffles. LOL

• Krystle Cook

Written on August 7, 2017

I’ve never done a brunch in NYC before but this food looks so awesome. Definitely something to experience!