Diary: A Night With Alexander Hamilton, New York City

Although most escape the big city for the ocean this time year it felt good to do the opposite for some days! After spending the first half of the month by the sea, mother and I planned a quick trip to New York City. We flew Wednesday afternoon and got out just in time before Boston was soaked with major storms. I was quite nervous we wouldn’t make it and we had to make it because that same night we had tickets to Lin-Manual Miranda’s Hamilton.

I have been waiting patiently to see this show for what feels like forever and I was not about to let a little storm get in my way. Lukas had the luxury of seeing it last August as a surprise gift from the firm he works for. I was happy for him but maybe an inch of jealousy that he saw it before me ๐Ÿ˜œ. Anyway, my day had come. It was everything I could have imagined and more. I have never felt such excitement walking into a show and I was on the verge of tears as it began. The production was absolutely stunning and well worth the many months I waited. It renewed my love for the soundtrack, Broadway, and taking in Hamilton’s work ethic left me inspired to kick ass in my own professional life. Hamilton is beginning to tour but I’m really happy to have had the experience in New York. I would recommend this show to just about everyone. And if you get the chance to see it, please go for it! You won’t regret it.

Dinner at Bella Mia | Rebecca Brianne on Bexpeditions.com

Pan Roasted Salmon | A Night in NYC with Hamilton | Bexpeditions.com

We stopped at a restaurant called Bella Mia at random on our way to the show. I ate pan roasted salmon with a dijon glaze, vegetables, and potatoes.

Mango Sorbetto | A Night In NYC for Hamilton | Bexpeditions

Mango sorbetto for dessert.

A Night in New York City for Hamilton | Bexpeditions

A Night with Hamilton in New York City | Bexpeditions

For those who don’t know Hamilton: An American Musical is about the life of Alexander Hamilton, a founding father of the United States. It’s based on theย biography Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. It’s a very popular production now here in the US but I received some questions from my international readers. It’s about to make its debut in London this year and a film is set as well.

If you’re not already situated with it, start now! It’s a fascinating story. I linked the Broadway soundtrack, the biography it was inspired by, and the newest coffee table book about the production above.

Inside Richard Rogers Theater for Hamilton | Bexpeditions

Hamilton set inside at Richard Rogers Theather. I often worry about theater seatsย so high or far away because if you’re short like me (5’1) it’s a common occurrence that someone taller will sit in front and obstruct my view. The great thing about this theater is that every seat really delivers clear views of the stage! And it was much more intimate than I had expected.

Richard Rogers Theater Details in New York City | Bexpeditions

Experiencing Lin-Manuel Miranda's Hamilton In New York City | Bexpeditions

New York City Lights | Bexpeditions

Looking Over New York City at Night | Rebecca Brianne on Bexpeditions

We were given a really lovely smaller suite for our first night which had this absolutely stunning and quite large outdoor space. I’m happy with most views that are not walls or views into others windows! Usually, I’m pretty lucky with that whenever we stay with Hilton Hotels.

Late Night Diner Food in New York City | Bexpeditions

The show ended pretty late and we arrived back to the room nearing midnight. I was having late night cravings so we took a quick walk around the corner to one of our favoriteย 24-hour diners for waffles & ice cream. It’s extremely average but always staying so close I end up there often. It grew a little place in my New York heart! I think over the 5 days I ended up here at least 3 times, ha. Do you have any place like that where you are? When I had my Beacon Street studio it was Scollay Square and Zen Japanese just downstairs.

A very casual post tonight and I’ll share a bit more from our time in New York but tomorrow morning I will head off for a quick trip to Connecticut and working on creating some really fun and beautiful content for the website. Have an excellent evening! xo, Rebecca

Comments

• robin rue

Written on August 7, 2017

I have a long list of shows I want to see on Broadway, although this isn’t one of them for me ๐Ÿ™‚ My husband and I are in NYC a few times a year and love cramming in as many shows as possible when we are there.

• Jessica

Written on August 7, 2017

It looks like you had so much fun! I have always wanted to go to a live show. It is for sure one of my bucket list items!

• melissa

Written on August 7, 2017

It is so hard and expensive to get tickets to Hamilton but I am sure it was a great show. It has been the buzz of Broadway for some time. I rarely go to Broadway but I will keep this one in mind.

• Erica

Written on August 7, 2017

This post made me so nostalgic. I’m from the east coast and grew up in the theater. And I used to love going to Broadway shows. Now, i have n’t seen a Broadway show in forever. Hamilton is coming to Los Angeles but the tickets are just so crazy expensive. But I would absolutely love to see it.

Written on August 8, 2017

If you ever get the chance, Erica, please do! It was so magnificent. At the rate that it’s growing, I’m sure everyone will end up seeing this at one point!

• Karen Morse

Written on August 7, 2017

It sounds like you had an amazing time with your mom! I think it’s awesome that you got to finally see Hamilton. Diners are always the best in cities like NYC! Although I do have favorites in Cleveland too.

• Cassie

Written on August 7, 2017

I’m so jealous! We couldn’t get tickets to Hamilton when we were last in New York but I sooo wanted to go and see it! I bet it was absolutely amazing!

• Beth Davidson

Written on August 7, 2017

Ah, I’m jealous! I just looked at Hamilton tickets in Atlanta and they were absurd definitely not in my price range. That food looks delicious too.

• Pam

Written on August 7, 2017

Wow!! It looks like you had a great time and it is nice to make it into the city for a while. I’ll have to check out this production and the food looked absolutely delicious!!!

• AnnMarie John

Written on August 8, 2017

This made me miss living in NYC! I’m glad you had the best time there, it’s a beautiful city with so much to offer especially when it comes to shows like Hamilton and good food!

Written on August 9, 2017

It’s really something only New York can offer! There are excellent shows and theater everywhere but the whole vibe and energy of Broadway…There is NOTHING like it!

• Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh

Written on August 8, 2017

My oldest daughter is very much into theater, and would love to see Hamilton. She’s talked about it and others several times. She plans on visiting NYC one day and taking in as many shows as she can.

• Terri

Written on August 8, 2017

I am seeing this in the spring and I am so excited. Just like you, I wish I could have seen it sooner, but it wasn’t meant to be. Thanks for sharing your view, I am sure I will feel the same!

Written on August 8, 2017

You’re going to LOVE IT! I’m so happy for you! It was such an amazing experience both from the production and energy from the audience!

• Terri

Written on August 8, 2017

Oh wow what a fancy place and it’s just the kind of place I’d enjoy. I’ve never been to NYC but hopefully, I will one day. I’ll have to head to Hamilton when I do. That food and the views are stunning.

• Nicola

Written on August 8, 2017

My stepson is desperate to see Hamilton when it comes to London but it is already sold out for months! We will have to just go along and hope to get some cancellations!

• aish das padihari

Written on August 8, 2017

You are so lucky! I love NYC. The last time I was there, I watched the Broadway show – Pippin and can’t wait to go back again.

• Breena

Written on August 8, 2017

Aw I just love NYC! It’s such an amazing city! So glad you got to see Hamilton in New York City; that’s a big deal. I hear those tickets are hard to come by. I can’t wait until it starts to tour. Hopefully I will see it in DC.

• Rachel

Written on August 8, 2017

I’m so jealous. We have the soundtrack on repeat at our house. I am hoping for tickets to the Chicago show for my birthday.

• Misty Nelson

Written on August 9, 2017

Oh you lucky girl! What an awesome experience. I’m dying to see this show, I’ve heard it is just amazing. One day, I hope! Glad you enjoyed your experience ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ashleigh

Written on August 9, 2017

Oh if I could only attend to see some Hamilton. This post has me so nostalgic for New York City it definitely has a special place in my heart.

• Ana

Written on August 9, 2017

Oh my god it is coming to London???? When I need to know immediately I have been dying to see it for ages and I am glad that it was worth the hype as well! x

• Heather

Written on August 9, 2017

What an amazing night. Your dinner looks fabulous and I’d love to see the show in NYC! What an magical experience.

• reesa

Written on August 9, 2017

You look so relaxed and beautiful in your pics! I have been wanting to see Hamilton forever. What an amazing view your hotel had too!

• Cassie

Written on August 9, 2017

My husband and I both want t0 see Hamilton! I’m so envious that you were able to catch it.

• Cindy Ingalls

Written on August 9, 2017

I’m dying to see this show. Hopefully, one day soon I will be able to get my hands on some tickets. I know they are a hot commodity.

• Foodie Finds Home

Written on August 10, 2017

I really want to see this show. I had no idea it’s coming to London which will be a lot closer to me than NY, but still Hamilton!!!! What a wonderful night for you. I fell in love with NY when I was there for the first periscope summit and I’ve been a fan of the city ever since. You are very pretty. ๐Ÿ™‚

Written on August 10, 2017

Aw, thanks so much! It seems a lot of people didn’t know it was coming to London so I’m happy to inform you! I’m sure it will be just as incredible – the show really is amazing!

• Brittany

Written on August 11, 2017

I have been dying to go to a play with my husband. It would be so much fun! I’ve only gone to little ones and I’d love to go again!

• Krystle Cook

Written on August 11, 2017

I would love to be able to go and see a play like this. I am so glad that you had this experience.

• Toughcookiemommy

Written on August 12, 2017

That is definitely a beautiful theater and it is good to know that the visibility is good since I’m short too. I love going to see live shows in my city.