Sip & Sail On Charles River: Cambridge, Massachusetts

New England Summer Bucket List: Riverboat Cruise on the Charles River in Boston, Massachusetts! | Bexpeditions.com

If you’ve been keeping up with me on Instagram, you know some weeks ago our amazing friends at CambridgeSide Galleria and Charles Riverboat Company took me and a bunch of our Boston blogger friends for a little mid-week “Sip & Sail” (ahem, booze cruise, let’s be honest) on the Charles River. Can you imagine 40 young bloggers all on a boat together?? I’ve never seen so many selfies happening at once haha. It was a bit overwhelming at first but once you find your girls and get a drink in your hand it mellows out. For those who don’t know Cambridge sits right next to Boston and home to my university, Harvard, as well as many others such as MIT and Lesley. It’s easily accessible by foot or T and definitely worth a visit if you’re in Boston.

It can be a little tough to schedule any type of boat activity in May (even late May) here in New England. When I saw the event date I was hoping the weather would show up for us! Clearly, these organizers know what they’re doing because it happened to fall right in the middle of a heat wave (we’re talking 90° F). Everyone was relieved to get on that boat and feel the breeze!

Sip & Sail on the Charles River | Bexpeditions.com

Sailing the Charles River | Bexpeditions.com

This view reminded me a lot when I went out on the Alster in Hamburg.

Charles Riverboat Cruises in Cambridge, Massachusetts | Bexpeditions.com

CambridgeSide Galleria in Cambridge, MA | Bexpeditions.com

CambridgeSide is currently undergoing major renovations from top to bottom so it was an adventure learning my way around! They organized a little scavenger hunt to get us acquainted but I got caught up in Sunglass Hut 😄. Personally, I have such a strange thing with trying on eyewear. I could do it for hours without becoming bored.

I did chat with some of the very friendly gals at Teavana (a place that I mainly go to hydrate on samples. Recommendation: The Beach Bellini herbal tea was SO GOOD. And this is coming from a non-tea person who wishes they would drink more tea. Please try it and let me know your thoughts.). Anyhow, they mentioned the final design for the mall was really impressive and should be done around October of this year. I hope I get to see it before I head back to Europe!

Booze cruise on the Charles River in Cambridge, Massachusetts | Bexpeditions.com

Sunglasses: Georgio Armani on sale from a Sunglass Hut in Old San Juan.

Sailing the Charles River in Cambridge, Massachusetts | Bexpeditions.com

Inside Charles Riverboat Company boat in Cambridge, MA | Bexpeditions.com

Inside our boat from Charles Riverboat Company. I believe we boarded the Charles 1 riverboat from their fleet.

Sip & Sail on Charles River | Bexpeditions.com

The Esplanade in Boston | Bexpeditions.com

Sailing by evening cyclists and runners on The Esplanade.

View of Boston from the Charles River | Bexpeditions.com

Sailers, Boston’s Charles River Park/West End neighborhood, and Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge. Zakim for short. This was the first neighborhood I had lived in when I moved to Boston!

American Flag on Riverboat Cruise | Bexpeditions.com

Shortly after this cruise, the temperature dropped back down into the 50s, just to reiterate how risky it is to have such an event in May. Now we’re in mid-June and the city is getting in its sticky, humid weather pattern so it would be nice to be back on this boat again. They did a great job hosting us, bar service was great and it was all smooth sailing. Take me back, please!

If you’re in Boston anytime soon Charles Riverboat Company has some exciting and front row seating for the Tall Ships Event next weekend and 4th of July Fireworks! Can you imagine watching the 4th of July fireworks on the Charles River from this boat? The best!

Photographs were taken with a Canon EOS M.

Comments

• Kristina

Written on June 14, 2017

This is so beautiful! I’ve always wanted to go to Massachusetts so I’m adding this on my things to do when we go there!

Written on June 14, 2017

Thanks for your kind words, Kristina! So happy that you’re adding this to your list of things when you visit! You don’t regret it!

• Robin rue

Written on June 14, 2017

This is right up the street from me, so I definitely need to do this. Sounds like a fun date night idea.

Written on June 15, 2017

You definitely should, Robin! Would be so fun as a date night during the summer.

• Karen Morse

Written on June 14, 2017

Wow! I’d love to go sailing there and just enjoy the summer sun and the beautiful view! It looks like you had a fantastic time there! It would be nice to experience this during the summer!

Written on June 15, 2017

It was such a great way to kick off the summer! I have been out on the Community Sailing boats before but this is a lot more relaxing for me hahaha

• Melissa

Written on June 14, 2017

That boat ride is a little different than the crew teams rides on the Charles. It really is a great looking view from that boat and looks delightful.

Written on June 15, 2017

For sure, Melissa! It’s a riverboat cruise. The views were fantastic – a great party or private dinner venue!

• Terri

Written on June 14, 2017

I love the water. I would be all over this event. The river is beautiful. I will definitely add them to my list of things to do!

Written on June 15, 2017

That makes me so so happy to hear, Terri! Let me know how you like it!

• Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh

Written on June 14, 2017

What a fun time! I love being out on a boat, with the wind in my hair, enjoying the breeze. I’ve only once been on a boat in a lake like this, it was a lot of fun. A different experience from my usual river boat and ocean boat riding.

Written on June 15, 2017

Haha, for sure Joanna! This is perfect for throwing a party or dinner – a perfect thing for visitors to do as well! It’s so easily accessible from CambridgeSide.

• Cassie

Written on June 14, 2017

Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! I want to go sailing so bad there right now! We did a driving holiday around New England in September last year and had an absolutely blast! But no sailing 🙁

Written on June 15, 2017

September can be just as tricky as May sometimes regarding weather in New England – but it is a gorgeous time of year all the same. Hopefully next time you get to go out on the water. New England is great for that as well!

• Cindy Ingalls

Written on June 15, 2017

This is my kind of cruise, enjoying the sights and sounds of the city while sipping on some cocktails. I wish they had something like this in my town. Guess I need to take a trip to Boston.

Written on June 15, 2017

For sure, Cindy! This was an ideal hump day pick-me-up. I would definitely add this to your Boston list.

• Amanda Love

Written on June 15, 2017

How luxurious and awesome! A cruise like this is always fun and perfect for the summer. The view is amazing as well. How can you turn down something this good, right?

Written on June 15, 2017

Haha, right, Amanda!? I was so excited when I saw this come up on my screen. They know how to throw a good party and the weather was fortunately on our side.

• Janella

Written on June 15, 2017

wow what a beautiful day! I love how intimate the atmosphere was… even if it was on the water( its a fear for me)

Written on June 15, 2017

With a riverboat of this size, I personally felt totally secure! I’ve had waves of nausea and some fearsome moments on smaller boats and yachts before (only when going from outdoors to indoors) but I didn’t have that experience here and that was even while having a cocktail. The waters were very calm on the Charles!

• Nicole

Written on June 15, 2017

This looks like so much fun. When I lived in New York City, we used to do sunset sails pretty often. It was always so special!

Written on June 16, 2017

And New York City has a much more impressive skyline, Nicole! I bet that was beautiful! I should schedule that next time I’m there.

• Angela @marathonsandmotivation.com

Written on June 15, 2017

This sounds like a perfect way to spend the evening! I live 2 hours North of Boston, so I may have to make an overnight trip there to check this out!!!

Written on June 16, 2017

That would be awesome, Angela! It is the perfect summer fun activity around here!

• Brittany

Written on June 16, 2017

Wow, it looks like you had an incredible experience. I’ve never been to Massachusetts but I’ve heard, and your pictures confirm, that it is absolutely stunning.

Written on June 21, 2017

Thank you for your kind words, Brittany! It was such a great time. Hope you make it here one day!

• Heather

Written on June 16, 2017

This looks wonderful! What a fun experience. I’m sure it would be a great family activity too. My daughters love the water and we would really like to see the city with this view.

Written on June 21, 2017

For sure, Brie! We love boat rides like this and it is an excellent family activity! Best way to experience the city, for sure!

Written on June 25, 2017

Thank you very much, Amy! I really appreciate that.

• Kristin

Written on June 24, 2017

That event looks like so much fun! I will have to try that tea since I am just like you…I don’t really like it but I wish I did since it’s so good for you.
    -Kristin
    countdowntofridayblog.com

Written on June 26, 2017

haha it is really good Kristin! Definitely, try it – my tea for a non-tea person LOL