Sunny St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans Sightseeing

One of my favorite things to do in New Orleans on a good day is to escape the craziness of the French Quarter, go uptown and stroll along St. Charles Avenue. Also known as “The Jewel of America’s Grand Avenues”.  I highly recommend it to those who really want to visit New Orleans but don’t want to get in all the crazy party happenings that they think the city only has to offer.

A QUIETER NEW ORLEANS

Spending the first few years of my life here Uptown, I always found New Orleans to be very family friendly and this side of town shows that! I was actually quite oblivious to New Orlean’s party side until I was much older, moved north and people would always tell me their crazy stories. The streetcar rides ride through the center so it’s easy to arrive and I suggest taking a good afternoon to spend up here just taking in your surroundings. I have easily spent a couple hours just walking along the street. The homes are absolutely stunning if you’re into architecture and definitely worth checking out! Below are a few of my favorites – enjoy!

St. Charles Avenue Home in New Orleans, Louisiana | Bexpeditions.com

St. Charles Avenue Home in New Orleans, Louisiana | Bexpeditions.com

St. Charles Avenue Home in New Orleans, Louisiana | Bexpeditions.com

This is another one of my favorites, especially as a kid. I mean, it’s like a real-life dollhouse!! There is a similar blue one next door to it that felt like “his & hers” homes. How could a little girl not love this? The little girl in me still does!

St. Charles Avenue Home in New Orleans, Louisiana | Bexpeditions.com

That greenery and those hanging plants! Porch goals.

St. Charles Avenue Home in New Orleans, Louisiana | Bexpeditions.com

So I have this issue where I tend to get attached to certain homes in various places. Just telling myself one day I’ll buy them all!  I have my favorites in Newport, Martha’s Vineyard, Hamburg, etc. and this is my New Orleans one! It’s the one I come back to it everytime I’m here. I have to say I was a bit disappointed the last time I saw it as it used to be a perfect shade of pink! It’s still a beauty but if I get my hands on it, it’s going back to pink! Do you have any attachment like that to your favorite homes while traveling? Which ones out of the above are your favorite?

Comments

• Janel

Written on May 29, 2017

I love looking at old historic homes like these. They are full of so much charm and character that you just can’t get anymore with the new housing developments .

Written on May 29, 2017

You definitely have a point, Janel! Especially in cities like New Orleans. I hope you enjoyed looking at these ones though! Each one has such a unique style.

• Robin Rue

Written on May 29, 2017

That sounds so amazing. I have been dying to go to New Orleans and I hope to get there one of these days. What a gorgeous old city.

Written on May 29, 2017

I hope you make it there, Robin! If you like this little peek of it, you’ll have a great time on St. Charles!

• Cassie

Written on May 29, 2017

These houses are absolutely beautiful! I’ve always wanted to visit new orleans! hopefully get there in our next trip to the states!

Written on May 30, 2017

For sure, Cassie! If you end up on that end of the country you should definitely take a stroll!

• Lindsey

Written on May 29, 2017

We drove down St. Charles in a massive rainstorm and it was still some of the most beautiful sights I’d seen in architecture. Such a fun self tour.

Written on May 30, 2017

Definitely, Lindsey! I’m glad you still thought it was beautiful even in the rain. I love how those large oaks stand out when it gets a bit cloudy!

• Ana

Written on May 29, 2017

It is nice to know that it is completely different to what you might expect and that there is a different side to New Orleans that people might not know about! Beautiful photos x

Written on May 30, 2017

So true, Ana! For some people who are not aware or think New Orleans is nothing but drunk partying, I wanted to show a different, quieter side!

• Kristina

Written on May 30, 2017

#6 pictured is my favorite but they are all stunning! I love how they are built and would love to live in one of these homes.

Written on June 1, 2017

They are really some of the most stunning, Kristina! I’m happy you enjoyed it.

• HilLesha

Written on May 30, 2017

It has been a few years since I’ve first visited New Orleans, but I wouldn’t mind visiting again someday. I actually preferred the quieter side of it, too, especially Magazine Street. If you haven’t visited already, I also highly recommend checking out House of Broel’s Victorian Mansion and Dollhouse Museum.

Written on June 1, 2017

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I enjoy the quieter side too and Magazine Street is always a favorite! I will for sure have to check them out next time I’m there. Thank you!

• Jackie

Written on May 30, 2017

These look so pretty and I love houses like this. I love the photograpy and all your info about them. What a cool blog post about these.

Written on June 1, 2017

Thank you for your kind words, Jackie. I’m glad you enjoyed it & my photographs! That means a lot to me.

• Jessica

Written on May 30, 2017

I have always had a love for the old Victorian Style houses. We have quite a few near where I live and I just love them. While I probably wouldn’t want to live in one, they are wonderful to look at.

Written on June 1, 2017

Yes, here in New England we have a Victorian style home by the beach and I absolutely adore the style of it! And the fun colors you can have with them! The only downside is that they are usually quite old and can come with some problems if not treated properly.

• Elizabeth O.

Written on May 30, 2017

Old school is always tthe best! I think these are all so beautiful! I like looking at old designs especially since they are always so beautiful. Such a lovely sight to see!

Written on June 2, 2017

Thanks so much, Elizabeth! Glad I could deliver a little pretty to brighten up your day!

• Amanda Love

Written on May 30, 2017

That’s so awesome, it’s so cool to be able to tour these houses and just admire their beauty. I think it would be nice to do this when I visit New Orleans! Each one is unique and beautiful.

Written on June 2, 2017

Most definitely, Amanda! And once it’s complete make sure to take a look at my upcoming little black book for more suggestions!

• Brittany

Written on May 30, 2017

I’ve been to New Orleans one time and it was amazing. I wish I had more time to go and explore. It has so much rich history and I love the culture!

Written on June 2, 2017

It’s such a unique place, Brittany! I’m so happy you enjoyed your time in the city and hope you get a chance to go back!

• daniella

Written on May 30, 2017

Thank you for this! New Orleans is my favorite place on earth and I want to go back so bad!

Written on June 2, 2017

So happy you enjoyed it, Daniella! Thank you for your sweet words and I hope you make it back!

• melissa

Written on May 30, 2017

Those homes are so spectacular I am truly jealous of how nice they photograph in the soft sunshine. I will not miss this block when I get to New Orleans.

Written on June 2, 2017

You definitely don’t want to miss out, Melissa! I’m glad I could present something for you to do on your next trip!

• Amber

Written on May 30, 2017

Oh I just loved looking at all the awesome house in New Orleans. That is such a beautiful city! I loved it!

Written on June 2, 2017

Thank you for your sweet words, Amber! I’m glad I could give you a taste of it here!

• Toughcookiemommy

Written on May 31, 2017

This is such a gorgeous destination. I imagine that there is so much culture and history to experience here. I can’t wait to visit one day with my husband.

Written on June 2, 2017

For sure! You’ll definitely have so much to explore when you two arrive! There is never a chance to be bored!

• Cindy Ingalls

Written on May 31, 2017

These homes are so gorgeous. I haven’t been to New Orleans in so long, but next time I go, I’m definitely going to stroll down St. Charles.

Written on June 2, 2017

I hope you’ll share your adventures with me, Cindy! Would love to see your next trip down St. Charles 😀

• Shannon Gurnee

Written on June 2, 2017

I’ve never been to New Orleans before, but would love to visit someday. What looks like such a gorgeous home!

Written on June 3, 2017

I’m glad you enjoyed it, Shannon! Thank you for your kind words & I hope you get there someday!

Written on June 23, 2017

Glad you enjoyed it, Léonor! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.