Photo Diary: New Orleans French Quarter

“There are a lot of places I like, but I like New Orleans better. There’s a thousand different angles at any moment. At any time you could run into a ritual honoring some vaguely known queen. Bluebloods, titled persons like crazy drunks, lean weakly against the walls and drag themselves through the gutter. Even they seem to have insights you might want to listen to. No action seems inappropriate here. The city is one very long poem. Gardens full of pansies, pink petunias, opiates. Flower-bedecked shrines, white myrtles, bougainvillea and purple oleander stimulate your senses, make you feel cool and clear inside.” – Bob Dylan, Chronicles, Vol. 1

Hello, New Orleans! I’m excited to kick off our Louisiana series and if you haven’t already, check out my Jazz Fest post + playlist from a couple weeks ago. I have one experience outside of New Orleans for this trip but most of the fun really happens in the city. NOLA is my birthplace and even though I now consider myself a New England girl, certain things about this city never leave you no matter where you end up.

Anyone who is familiar with both the southern and northeast parts of the US knows that there truly is a special warmth that comes from those in New Orleans. You can feel it in everything they do, what they say and how they say it. When I felt homesick in Germany, I would find myself cooking red beans & rice for dinner while listening to jazz. I even got Lukas to help me as we made our own King Cake during Mardi Gras.  Unfortunately, we couldn’t find a little baby figure to hide in it! Even if I’m away and as the city changes, the New Orleans girl in me never completely fades. It’s new and nostalgic and I always feel like I’m dancing the line between tourist, visitor, and local. I’m very happy to begin this series with the famous French Quarter, though! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. And if you’ve never been before I hope this gives you a little slice of what that could be like!

New Orleans, Louisiana Photo Tour: French Quarter Edition

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Red Beans & Rice from Jackson Brewery House

Red Beans & Rice from Jackson Brewery Bistro Bar.

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Hurricane Cocktail

Hurricane cocktail also from Jackson Brewery Bistro Bar.

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Street Musicians

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Decatur & St. Ann Signs

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Cafe Du Monde Sign

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Cafe Du Monde

Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street. A classic I’m sure you have heard of! Although the lines may be long it is worth it, an experience you should have once. It’s the only place for me to get a true beignet & cafe au lait fix. When I was a child the man playing his trumpet outside would be Hack. A very kind man and one of the many “French Quarter Characters” my mother would call them. Don’t wear black! Unless you’re into accessorizing with white powder.

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Street Corner

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Faulkner House Books

I absolutely love finding the best bookstores in an area and I think Faulkner House Books on Pirate Alley takes the cake. It’s a bit hidden within the streets of the French Quarter and it’s a small space but a really beautiful curation of new and old! It is considered a literary landmark so a must visit for all bookworms.

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Mardi Gras Masks

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: St. Louis Cathedral

New Orlean’s St. Louis Cathedral is the oldest in the USA, founded in 1720 and is an impressive site in Jackson Square.

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Jackson Square Artist

Jackson Square Artist at work.

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Street Musicians

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: Architecture

New Orleans French Quarter Photo Diary: St. Louis Cathedral

Places Mentioned: Jackson Brewery Bistro Bar / Cafe Du Monde / Faulkner House Books / Jackson Square / Jackson Square Artists / St. Louis Cathedral

I’m always looking for good New Orleans recommendations so please drop any if you have them! Especially for art galleries and hotels. I do have my own long list (mostly food) which I’ll compile soon into our next Little Black Book installment but I always feel like I’m missing out on more hidden gems everytime I’m back. New things appear and I want to experience it all!

Comments

Written on May 28, 2017

It definitely has that feeling! The buildings are all pretty old but the people certainly keep it fresh!

• Julia

Written on May 28, 2017

I’m hoping to visit New Orleans this summer, and your pictures have me so excited! I didn’t know the oldest cathedral in the US is there, that’s so neat!

Written on May 28, 2017

Aw, I’m so happy about that Julia! It’s a really exciting city but will be extremely hot in the summer! Don’t forget your sunscreen, water & enjoy!!

• Rachael

Written on May 28, 2017

I love these pictures!! I have visited New Orleans and the French Quarter and had so much fun, thank you for the reminder!

Written on May 28, 2017

Thanks for your kind words, Rachael! I’m so happy you enjoyed it and that this brought back good memories for you!!

• Kelsey

Written on May 28, 2017

These photos are gorgeous! I feel like I never see pictures of New Orleans, let alone the French Quarter. But I hear that it’s all a lot of fun and want to go one day! Looks like you had a blast. So fun!

Written on May 28, 2017

Thank you, Kelsey!! I feel like I always see photos of New Orleans so I was actually a bit nervous to share yet ANOTHER one but I’m glad you feel that way haha! I hope you get to experience for yourself one day.

• Leigh

Written on May 28, 2017

Lovely photos! I have such mixed feelings of New Orleans – I love the culture, food, architecture and natives, but hate that it’s such a drunken destination…I would like to return one more time and explore beyond the French Quarter, though.

Written on May 28, 2017

Thanks so much, Leigh! There are so many sides to New Orleans that you should definitely explore! I tell people it doesn’t have to be a party city if you don’t want it to be. If you want to stay away from the partying I highly recommend you stay further uptown next time near Magazine! You will have a completely different experience. Happy travels!

• Kristen

Written on May 28, 2017

Great photos! New Orleans looks like the perfect city to explore with a camera, not to mention that the food was probably amazing! It’s been near the top of my U.S.-travel list for a while now. Your post just reminded me how badly I want to go!

Written on May 28, 2017

Thank you, Kristen! It is definitely a camera friendly city – each set of photos from my trips there are all so different. I can’t wait to share my all food expeditions! I hope you make it there soon, it’s a great place!

• Vanessa Vasquez

Written on May 28, 2017

Wonderful place, I had no idea of this destination until now. Thanks for sharing, Im looking forward for next post

Written on May 28, 2017

I’m so happy to introduce you to a new place then, Vanessa! That makes me very happen I get to show your something new and I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

• Rawnie Hansen

Written on May 28, 2017

Great post and photos. New Orleans is such a great city and I love the buildings and the balconies. So pretty – even the old ones.

Written on May 28, 2017

I’m glad you enjoyed it, Rawnie! Thank you for sharing with us.

• RM

Written on May 28, 2017

This looks like such an awesome place to visit ! I’ve never been but I’m putting it on my bucket list now! 🙂

Written on May 28, 2017

I’m happy you discovered a new place to add to your bucket list!! That’s what I aim to do – I hope you cross it off that list soon!

• Heather

Written on May 28, 2017

I’ve only been to NOLA once, but I was enchanted. We went for a wedding. Have you ever participated in a Second Line Parade? If not, you must!! They had one for their wedding and it was incredibly fun. We danced through the streets as random people joined us or took photos. I’d love to visit again for a vacation. Your photos capture it perfectly and I recognized most of the places. Thanks for the memories!

Written on May 29, 2017

I’m so happy you enjoyed the city, Heather! I haven’t done the whole second line thing but I know they’re very popular and a bit of a must for NOLA weddings! I was queen of Mardi Gras once at my preschool so it has been pretty hard to top that LOL. I love that my photographs could bring you back for a moment!

• Kristin @ Camels & Chocolate

Written on May 28, 2017

Would you believe that I’m from the South and haven’t been back to Nawlins since my bachelorette in 2010? Luckily, that’s going to change in August! Thanks for getting me excited about my upcoming trip =)

Written on May 29, 2017

Oh, I hope you have the most amazing trip! It always amazes me how much the city changes (and improves) with each passing year. Enjoy your trip and I’m happy I could get you excited!

• Christie

Written on June 2, 2017

Your photos are awesome! I haven’t been to New Orleans but it’s one of the top places I want to visit in the US. The architecture of the French quarter looks so pretty. I just came across your blog through Female Travel Bloggers by the way 🙂 I’m from Boston too! Currently living in New Zealand though 🙂

Written on June 2, 2017

Thanks so much Christie! I hope you make it there – it is a beautiful place! And yay for Boston ladies! I’ve always wanted to go to New Zealand though so that’s super cool you relocated there!!

• Nicole

Written on June 24, 2017

I really want to go to New Orleans, all the photos I see make it look wonderful. I was supposed to go in 2005 after Camp America but then Hurricane Katrina hit 🙁 One day I’ll make it there.

Written on June 25, 2017

Well the city has really come back and developed in great ways since Katrina, Nicole! So now you’ll have a whole new set of adventures. I hope you make it there soon!