Fairytale Living: Schlosshotel Münchhausen

As a bucket list item, I’ve always wanted to stay in a castle and what place was better than Germany to do such a thing? And what place could be better than Schlosshotel Münchhausen? L and I booked a suite for four nights as part of a package they offer and it was the best decision we made! After some small research on castle hotels around Germany, Schlosshotel Münchhausen seemed like the obvious choice if we really wanted to indulge. We arrived on a Sunday morning where we were checked in and took our bags to our room. As they prepared our room someone drove us to the other side of the property where they were serving brunch in their barn. Pretty spectacular start.

Our living room.

I’m not this well trained in resort vacations. The idea of going to a hotel just to experience the hotel is fairly new to me but this has opened my eyes as to how amazing and relaxing that can be! We can be tourists right on the property. And there is a lot to tour! Even on our last full day L and I just discovered the narrow staircase that opens up to an amazing indoor pool on the other side of the property. And we left without experiencing it all like the golf course or the spa. Just another reason to come back!

Breakfast was included in our stay so a typical morning started with us heading to the breakfast room and eating in a sunny space or having it brought back to our suite for our late start mornings.

In the afternoon we would find ourselves in the Knight’s Hall or near the Schloss Bar for coffee and tea. This is where I really got used to the whole “Kaffee und kuchen” hour of the day.

The Knight’s Hall

Dinner from the Schlosskeller, the more “rustic” one of the restaurants at the castle.

We found ourselves having drinks here at night where Lukas tries to guide me on ordering gin & tonics (personally, yuck!)

On a calm evening, we found ourselves ordering dinner to the room.

We found a deal on their website which allowed us to stay in a suite for four nights, breakfast included for 1.000 Euro. We paid for dinner and drinks throughout our stay (when the line “just add it to the room” becomes dangerous for our wallet! lol). We really had a marvelous time and would highly recommend it! They also have much more inexpensive options to stay in one of their apartment homes on the property but it was really best to stay in the castle we think – I would say go for it!

Schlosshotel Münchhausen: Schwöbber 9, 31855 Aerzen | website | p: +49 (0)5154 70600

Comments

Written on April 22, 2017

Thanks, Mel! <3 It's really a beautiful country!

• Emily

Written on April 26, 2017

This looks amazing!!! I didn’t even know castle hotels were a thing.. definitely something to add to the bucket list!

Written on April 26, 2017

I’m not even sure how I originally came across the idea! Maybe I dreamt of being a princess one night and needed to find a way to make that happen, LOL. I definitely recommend it though! It was an amazing experience!

• Bri

Written on April 26, 2017

I didn’t even know staying at a castle is even possible!! I am so adding this to my bucket list! Beautiful photos 🙂

Written on April 26, 2017

You definitely should, Bri! An experience we’ll never forget and will certainly indulge in once again!

• jin

Written on April 26, 2017

Oh I love how quaint and relaxing this little trip looked! I also love how carefree and documentary your photos are! Looking forward to more adventures!

Written on April 26, 2017

Thanks, Jin! Yay to more adventures! 😀

• Kris

Written on April 27, 2017

This looks gorgeous. German castles are my favorite. I got to stay in a chateau in Luxembourg last fall, and it was so much fun. I’d love to get a chance to visit this location.

Written on April 27, 2017

That sounds amazing Kris! I am definitely interested in expanding my castle hotel resume…haha!

• ARIANA DEL RIO

Written on April 27, 2017

HONESTLY, i’m sad I didn’t stay in a castle in Ireland when I had the chance, BUT there is always Germany since I travel there often. 🙂 lovely photos

Written on April 27, 2017

Thanks, Ariana! I would LOVE to stay in an Irish castle. I’ve only seen a couple from the outside. Would definitely be a memorable adventure.

• Daisy

Written on April 27, 2017

These photos are pulling on my heartstrings! I’ve always traveled on a budget but staying at a castle definitely looks like it’s worth me breaking my habit 🙂 It’s such a beautiful place!

Written on April 27, 2017

Hahaha, that’s exactly what we did Daisy! Broke our budget travel for some days and it was definitely worth it. So memorable!

• Sarah

Written on April 27, 2017

Oh wow, what a beautiful place! It looks like a gorgeous place to stay and you’re right – you can’t beat Germany for castles 😊

Written on April 27, 2017

For real! They’re absolutely stunning and so many of them left to see and enjoy.

• Leslie

Written on April 27, 2017

Wow this photos are incredible! It looks like you had a great trip with some tasty looking meals. I would love to indulge in staying here the next time I am in Germany!

Written on April 28, 2017

Thanks, Leslie! We have a great time – I highly recommend you visit if you can! It’s a bit far out but totally worth it.

• Kyntra Strickland

Written on April 28, 2017

This looks and sounds so luxurious! This is definitely a bucket list item for me. Also, Germany is the most perfect place; gorgeous castles and scenery! Thanks for sharing.

Written on April 28, 2017

Hello Kyntra,
      Glad you enjoyed it – it was a beautiful trip!

Written on May 15, 2017

Definitely bucket-list worthy Michelle! You won’t be disappointed.

• Bruce Schinkel

Written on May 16, 2017

i’ve always wanted to stay in a castle too, so thanks so much for posting this amazing experience! Loved the pictures of this epic tour

Written on May 16, 2017

Thanks so much for your words, Bruce! I’m glad you enjoyed the experience! I hope you cross that off your bucket list soon.

Written on May 16, 2017

For sure, Delphine! It was a beautiful trip. Thanks for your kind words, xo!