Fairytale Living: Schlosshotel Münchhausen

Experience Germany's Fairytale Route by Living In A Castle | Schlosshotel Munchhausen | Bexpeditions.com

Let me just say I’m not this well trained at living in castles. I’ve seen quite a few and stepped inside but sleeping in them? Having afternoon tea in the Knights Hall every day? Let’s just say it’s not always on my agenda (though it really should be). That did change for four spectacular days as Lukas and I traveled to Germany’s countryside and lived like royalty. It’s an adventure right on the property! And there is a lot of luxury adventure to explore here. If you’ve never thought about adding a castle stay to our bucket list, continue on this post and I think you’ll change your mind.

I am beyond excited to share this property experience. As Lukas and I are traveling down Germany’s fairy-tale route – what would be the absolute must do experience I thought? Aside from all the gorgeous small village architecture and charm to soak in – what would be the ultimate experience? Stay in a castle, of course! I’ve always wanted to do that and there isn’t a better place than Germany to have such an adventure. After quite a bit of research on various castles around, we ended up going with Schlosshotel Münchhausen in Aerzen – just two hours south of Hamburg.

Living In A Fairy Tale

Schlosshotel Münchhausen is a 5-star castle hotel that is now the home inside Schloss Schwöbber, originally constructed in 1570 by Hilmar von Münchhausen. It was only as early as 2004 where owner Friedrich Popkin opened it as a luxury hotel. With 68 rooms and suites, the extra large property makes everyone feel like they’re kings and queens of the castle. You can stay in the castle (as we did) or for the more budget friendly version of this experience stay in the property’s apartment “Kleine Muehle” or in their Tithe Barn, which houses 36 of the total rooms on the property.

We booked a suite for four nights in the castle and it was the best decision we made. Our decision to stay inside was a suggestion from someone else and we are very happy that we took their advice and continue to recommend it if you can splurge for it! It became such a highlight our trip and we continue to talk about it often. Ahhh…fond memories of a simpler time at our castle. I knew staying here would be a treat but I didn’t expect to love it as much as I did. Neither one of us wanted to leave and by the end of it and we actually did get a bit lost in a fairy-tale land. It took us some time to get back to reality!

So we rented our car from Sixt, left Hamburg early on a Sunday morning and onto our castle we went. Even on our last full day L and I just discovered the narrow staircase that opens up to an amazing indoor pool on the other side of the property. Just another reason to come back! More hidden rooms I’m sure!

Fairytale Living: Schlosshotel Munchhausen in Germany | Life inside a castle | Bexpeditions.com

Fairytale Living: Schlosshotel Munchhausen in Germany | Chocolate Cake | Bexpeditions.com

Our living room.

The breakfast parlor

Breakfast was included in our stay so a typical morning started with us heading to the breakfast room and eating in a sunny space or having it brought back to our suite for our late start mornings.

A positive side to the unpredictable weather in Germany…it’s ideal rainbow weather! We had this stunner while having our afternoon coffee and tea.

In the afternoon we would find ourselves in the Knight’s Hall or near the Schloss Bar for coffee and tea. This is where I really got used to the whole “Kaffee und kuchen” hour of the day.

The Knight’s Hall

The indoor pool and spa area.

We spent a full afternoon just touring the grounds of the property and walking around the gardens. As I mentioned before we’re never sure when it could start raining again so any hint of sun means we should run outside and enjoy it!

Dinner from the Schlosskeller, the more “rustic” one of the restaurants at the castle. The castle also has a Michelin star gourmet restaurant on property from chef Achim Schwekendiek.

A roaring fire in the Knights Hall after dinner.

We found ourselves having drinks here at night where Lukas tries to guide me on ordering gin & tonics. I think I’ll stick to my glass of wine and sweeter cocktails.

On a calm evening, we found ourselves ordering late night sandwiches to the room.

What really made our experience feel beyond real was the exceptional staff and the nearly empty property. At our arrival, the attentive staff checked us in and took our bags to the suite while another person escorted us into one of their Mercedes-Benz just to drive us from one end of the property to another where they were having a brunch event. Due to the location of the castle, the castle is the destination and unless there is an event or wedding happening, it appears to be ready for all guests. I mean, we really felt we had the entire castle to ourselves. On our first morning, Lukas strolls down to the front room in a bathrobe where they greet him by his first name.

The best deal on their website which allows you to stay in a suite for four nights with breakfast included (a great addition for our stay!) for only 1.000 Euro. We paid for dinner and drinks throughout (when the line “just add it to the room” becomes dangerous for our checking accounts!). But we really had a marvelous time and can’t wait to return once again.

Schlosshotel Münchhausen: Schwöbber 9, 31855 Aerzen | website | p: +49 (0)5154 70600

Comments

Written on April 22, 2017

Thanks, Mel! <3 It's really a beautiful country!

• Emily

Written on April 26, 2017

This looks amazing!!! I didn’t even know castle hotels were a thing.. definitely something to add to the bucket list!

Written on April 26, 2017

I’m not even sure how I originally came across the idea! Maybe I dreamt of being a princess one night and needed to find a way to make that happen, LOL. I definitely recommend it though! It was an amazing experience!

• Bri

Written on April 26, 2017

I didn’t even know staying at a castle is even possible!! I am so adding this to my bucket list! Beautiful photos 🙂

Written on April 26, 2017

You definitely should, Bri! An experience we’ll never forget and will certainly indulge in once again!

• jin

Written on April 26, 2017

Oh I love how quaint and relaxing this little trip looked! I also love how carefree and documentary your photos are! Looking forward to more adventures!

Written on April 26, 2017

Thanks, Jin! Yay to more adventures! 😀

• Kris

Written on April 27, 2017

This looks gorgeous. German castles are my favorite. I got to stay in a chateau in Luxembourg last fall, and it was so much fun. I’d love to get a chance to visit this location.

Written on April 27, 2017

That sounds amazing Kris! I am definitely interested in expanding my castle hotel resume…haha!

• ARIANA DEL RIO

Written on April 27, 2017

HONESTLY, i’m sad I didn’t stay in a castle in Ireland when I had the chance, BUT there is always Germany since I travel there often. 🙂 lovely photos

Written on April 27, 2017

Thanks, Ariana! I would LOVE to stay in an Irish castle. I’ve only seen a couple from the outside. Would definitely be a memorable adventure.

• Daisy

Written on April 27, 2017

These photos are pulling on my heartstrings! I’ve always traveled on a budget but staying at a castle definitely looks like it’s worth me breaking my habit 🙂 It’s such a beautiful place!

Written on April 27, 2017

Hahaha, that’s exactly what we did Daisy! Broke our budget travel for some days and it was definitely worth it. So memorable!

• Sarah

Written on April 27, 2017

Oh wow, what a beautiful place! It looks like a gorgeous place to stay and you’re right – you can’t beat Germany for castles 😊

Written on April 27, 2017

For real! They’re absolutely stunning and so many of them left to see and enjoy.

• Leslie

Written on April 27, 2017

Wow this photos are incredible! It looks like you had a great trip with some tasty looking meals. I would love to indulge in staying here the next time I am in Germany!

Written on April 28, 2017

Thanks, Leslie! We have a great time – I highly recommend you visit if you can! It’s a bit far out but totally worth it.

• Kyntra Strickland

Written on April 28, 2017

This looks and sounds so luxurious! This is definitely a bucket list item for me. Also, Germany is the most perfect place; gorgeous castles and scenery! Thanks for sharing.

Written on April 28, 2017

Hello Kyntra,
      Glad you enjoyed it – it was a beautiful trip!

Written on May 15, 2017

Definitely bucket-list worthy Michelle! You won’t be disappointed.

• Bruce Schinkel

Written on May 16, 2017

i’ve always wanted to stay in a castle too, so thanks so much for posting this amazing experience! Loved the pictures of this epic tour

Written on May 16, 2017

Thanks so much for your words, Bruce! I’m glad you enjoyed the experience! I hope you cross that off your bucket list soon.

Written on May 16, 2017

For sure, Delphine! It was a beautiful trip. Thanks for your kind words, xo!

• Punita

Written on June 23, 2017

Germany is a stunner, specially the countryside. And living in that castle, you would have the time of your life! Would love to try this sometime..

• Jean

Written on June 24, 2017

Oh wow. This is my dream castle to stay in. It really looks as if you’ve fallen into a fairy tale.

• Dave

Written on June 26, 2017

Really beautiful photos. It looks and sounds as if it felt like you had your own private castle. The scenery looks like those castles in Bavaria, I was surprised to see that it’s near Hamburg. What a luxurious stay, thanks for sharing!

Written on June 27, 2017

Thanks for your kind words, Dave! It was a bit like having our own castle for some nights. And I completely agree with you about the location! Everyone is so interested in castles in Bavaria (which are magnificent) but hopefully, we can also put a reminder out that northern Germany can live up to it as well!